1980 Post Oak Blvd., Suite 1750
| Work from home flexibility
Industry: Energy-Front Office
Job Number: 1760
A wholesale power generation company is seeking a Senior Manager, Power Fundamental Analysis to support its Conventional Power, Renewable Power, and LNG businesses. This newly created role will continue the buildout of the power fundamentals infrastructure. This is a working manager role with 1-2 direct reports. The team undertakes fundamental power forecasting to develop an internal point-of-view on key fundamental drivers of the East (PJM, ISO-NE, and NYISO) and ERCOT power markets to support risk and commercial decision-making. Additionally, fundamental analysis aids in corporate strategy initiatives, including origination activity, capital projects, and M&A transactions. This role reports to the Head of Fundamentals with extensive interaction with the commercial teams.
Key fundamental research responsibilities include:
- Developing short- and long-term regional supply and demand models (focusing on 5-15-year forward modeling).
- Conceive and develop a capacity market model.
- Conceive and develop a renewable energy credits (REC) forecasting model.
- Tracking market rule changes, plant retirements, new builds, transmission upgrades, near-term demand, and fuel prices.
- Providing power price forecasts, market drivers, and related congestion impacts.
- Forward view on generation, transmission, load, and impact on power prices and heat rates.
- Developing Stack Models in the East and ERCOT power markets.
- Identifying market inefficiencies, price opportunities, and strategies for the traders and business development/origination.
- Monitoring industry regulations and writing/ presenting white papers to key stakeholders.
- Developing ad hoc models and forecasting tools.
Educational and professional requirements include a bachelor’s degree in a numerate field (Master/MBA degree is a plus); 7-12+ years of professional experience in power fundamental modeling for the North American markets at a utility, IPP, merchant trading firm, or energy market research firm; strong modeling/programming skills; an understanding of North American power supply/demand and infrastructure fundamentals; proven ability to build analytical tools; and ability to think commercially with strong communication skills. The candidate must have market knowledge in PJM, ISO-NE, NYISO, or ERCOT; and experience with dispatch modeling skills (AURORA, PLEXOS, DAYZER, GE-MAPS, PROMOD, PSO, or similar software package). Prior experience in a Team Lead or Managerial role is a plus.
Employees work a few days in the office and a few days remotely.