#1700 400 3 ave SW
Industry: Energy-Front Office
Job Number: 1741
A global, merchant energy trading firm seeks highly analytical and detail-oriented Natural Gas and Power Trading Analysts to join its global Quantamental team. This team focuses on augmenting and creating sophisticated analytics to drive trading strategies. In this team, you will have an active voice in commercial trading decisions. The position can be located in Houston or Calgary.
Some positions are open supporting the natural gas trading desk, and others are open supporting the power trading desks.
Key responsibilities include:
- Conduct comprehensive natural gas or power market analyses, including historical data, market trends, supply and demand fundamentals, weather patterns, and regulatory developments.
- Utilize statistical modeling and data analysis to produce commercial insights.
- Develop trading strategies utilizing market insights and quantitative skills. Identify arbitrage opportunities and potential hedging strategies to optimize trading performance.
- Assess and manage risks associated with trading activities.
- Continuously monitor the natural gas or power markets and stay updated on relevant industry news, market events, and regulatory changes that may impact trading strategies and profitability.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including traders, data scientists, quantitative analysts, and risk managers, to align trading strategies with overall business objectives.
- Provide input on trading models and contribute to improving trading systems and processes.
- Evaluate trading performance, track key performance indicators (KPIs), and generate reports to assess the effectiveness of trading strategies. Identify areas for improvement and recommend enhancements to optimize trading results.
Educational and Professional Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in finance, economics, mathematics, engineering, or a related field. A master's degree is a plus.
- Solid understanding of energy markets, particularly natural gas or power markets, including knowledge of market differentials, pricing mechanisms, and market dynamics.
- Experience (1-5 years) in natural gas and/or power fundamental analysis.
- Strong statistical analysis, time series analysis, and data modeling skills.
- Ability to code in Python.
- Proficiency in Excel and other data analysis tools (SQL) is essential. Proficiency with Tableau, PowerBI, or Plotly dashboard is desired.
- Excellent problem-solving abilities and attention to detail, with the ability to thrive in a fast-paced and dynamic trading environment.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to collaborate with team members and stakeholders across different functions.