A global energy trading firm located in Houston is searching for a Power Trading Transmission Analyst to join a newly revamped nodal trading team. This ground floor position will be responsible for:
- Performing transmission system studies and market simulations using power flow programs and market modeling platforms focusing on MISO/PJM/ERCOT and likely other ISOs;
- Building and maintaining tools to calculate distribution factors (PTDF, LODF, etc.);
- Building unit commitment and production cost models from the ground up;
- Analyzing the fundamental and commercial impact of generation and/or transmission projects/retirements and outages;
- Performing scenario and sensitivity analysis and determine risks and opportunities of portfolios; and
- Performing regional constraint and outage studies when needed.
Educational and professional requirements include:
- PhD or Masters in Electrical Engineering with a Power Systems focus (REQUIRED);
- Ability to build dispatch or commitment models and production cost models;
- Experience with security-constrained optimal power flow (SCOPF) modeling is highly desired;
- Ability to use technology tools (Python, R, SQL) to automate the large data sets used in congestion models;
- Good teamwork and communication skills, willing to share and build franchise tools as a team.
- Will consider recent graduates who have demonstrated strong technical modeling skills via an internship, PhD papers or other research projects.