A growing hedge fund in power/natural gas space is searching for a Power Trading Strategist (or a Junior Power Trader/Power Trading Strategist) with deep fundamental and technical modeling skills to help build an analytics infrastructure to drive East power trading activities, including PJM, MISO, NYISO, and NEISO markets. The role reports to the Head of East Power Trading. In this role, you will undertake market analytics for the East power markets, assist with trade idea generation and vetting, and support hedging activities. The position requires a self-driven and proactive mindset. In this role, you will have an active voice in the commercial trading process for the East Power Trading team and grow as a strategist/trader.
Key responsibilities include:
- Build analytic infrastructure, which includes forecasting models, back-testing and validating modeling approaches, sensitivity analysis, trader tools, and third-party market research.
- Being the SME of fundamental market conditions and drivers that impact the power markets in the East ISO regions with a focus on hubs/zones.
- Develop forward fundamental power views in East power markets
- Conducting fundamental research/modeling for the next day through 3 years.
- Evaluating new market builds and retirements of generation and transmission to quantify the impact on regional generation stacks.
- Review and quantify weather, demand sensitivities on regional power dynamics.
- Tracking federal and ISO market rule changes, infrastructure changes, and near-term demand and fuel prices.
- Identifying market inefficiencies, price opportunities, and strategies for traders and portfolio managers.
- Summarizing themes and strategies of suggested trades versus the overall portfolios and broader power markets.
- Developing trader tools; and
- Undertaking ad hoc requests.
The following educational and professional experiences, skills, and aptitudes are desired:
- Bachelor’s degree in a numerate field (Master’s/MBA degree is a plus
- Minimum 2 years of professional experience with the North American power markets in a power trading commercial environment.
- Market knowledge in PJM, MISO, NYISO, and/or NEISO (ideally more than one market), including the power supply/demand infrastructure and fundamentals, ISO market structure, and regulatory rules.
- Experience analyzing Short-Term and/or Term power markets (3 years+)
- Knowledge of U.S. Emissions and Natural Gas Markets.
- Ability to conceptualize and build models from scratch.
- Is commercial and can determine what is essential, what is driving the market, pricing relationships, and what represents a break in market price, etc.
- Proven ability to model and build analytical trading tools to forecast power prices (e.g., statistical modeling, predictive modeling, demand forecasting, power flow modeling, optimization methods, and/or stack modeling).
- Very proficient coder in Python.
- Experience with powerflow models such as Dayzer, PowerWorld is a plus.
- Can work in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong communication skills.
The hiring team is considering a variety of Power/Gas profiles with analytic or a hybrid of analytic/trading experience. Responsibilities will be tailored to your experience.