6555 Sierra Drive
Industry: Energy-Front Office
Job Number: 1696
The role of a data scientist in transmission trading involves developing and implementing algorithms and models to optimize trading decisions related to power transmission. This role requires expertise in statistical analysis, machine learning, data visualization, and a deep understanding of transmission systems and power markets.
- Develop and implement statistical models and machine learning algorithms to forecast transmission system behavior and optimize trading transmission congestion trading decisions.
- Analyze large datasets to identify trends and patterns, and use this information to develop trading strategies that maximize profit and minimize risk.
- Collaborate with transmission engineers and traders to understand the underlying physical and economic factors that impact transmission system behavior and inform trading decisions.
- Develop data visualization tools to communicate insights to senior management, traders, and analysts.
- Monitor developments in energy markets, transmission technologies, and data science techniques to ensure the team remains at the forefront of transmission trading.
Educational and Professional Qualifications:
Overall, the role of a data scientist in transmission trading is a challenging and dynamic position that requires a deep understanding of both data science and the energy industry. Candidates with a strong background in data science, statistics, and machine learning, combined with an interest in the power markets, are well-suited for this role.
- A bachelor’s degree (advanced degree a plus) in computer science, engineering, mathematics, or a related field, focusing on data science, statistics, or machine learning.
- Prior professional experience at a utility, IPP, power consulting, power market research, and/or power trading firm.
- Knowledge of transmission systems and power markets is required.
- Expert knowledge of the market rules of one or more power markets / ISO regions (PJM, NYISO, ISO-NE, CaISO, WECC, ERCOT, or SPP).
- Experience working with large datasets in the power and ISO markets.
- Experience with financial transmission rights FTRs, congestion revenue rights CRRs, transmission congestion contracts TCCs, and transmission congestion rights TCRs is a plus.
- Strong coding skills in Python, R, or another programming language commonly used in data science.
- Familiarity with statistical analysis, machine learning, and data visualization techniques.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills, with the ability to work effectively in a trading team environment.
Share This Job:
Login to save this search and get notified of similar positions.